To: Governor Andrew Cuomo
Oppose Port Ambrose, a Dangerous Offshore Liquefied Natural Gas Facility!
We call on Governor Christie to re-affirm his veto of this project, and also call on Governor Cuomo to veto Port Ambrose.
Why is this important?
Liberty Natural Gas (Liberty LNG) is proposing to build ‘Port Ambrose,’ a deepwater port that would bring combustible liquefied natural gas tankers to the NY/NJ region.
Under the Deepwater Port Act, this facility could be used for both the import and export of liquefied natural gas (LNG).
This proposal is concerning for several reasons:
1. LNG tankers and facilities pose serious security risks, as they are vulnerable to terrorism and hijacking in the busiest port on the east coast and near JFK airport.
2. LNG is a disaster for our climate: methane has an effect on climate 85 times more potent than carbon dioxide over a twenty-year period.
3. Liberty Natural Gas is a secretive corporation of nameless backers based in the Cayman Islands that refuses to disclose who they are and their financial investors.
4. Port Ambrose will likely become an export facility. Once approved for import, it can be flipped to export without further public input, worsening the industrialization of the marine environment, affecting fishing, and intensifying climate change.
5. Port Ambrose will create only six (6) long-term jobs. A real green energy future, including energy conservation and renewables, will create thousands of high paying, permanent jobs.