We respectfully request our school board to officially recognize the large and compelling body of research regarding teen sleep and academic achievement, and, with a resolution, to set a goal to start high schools in Montgomery County, MD, after 8:15 AM.
Why is this important?
When teens get the required 8.5 to 9 hours of sleep:
• School attendance goes up,
• Tardiness decreases,
• They sleep less in class,
• They get in fewer traffic accidents,
• Visit nurses and counselors less often, and,
• Report less depression and irritability.
Starting school before 8:15 AM, without a doubt, undermines optimal academic achievement.