To: President Donald Trump, The United States House of Representatives, and The United States Senate
I support Obamacare
I support the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare. While it is not perfect, it will provide health coverage to an additional 21 million Americans and provide many benefits to all Americans.
If there are problems with the ACA, I urge you to fix them and strengthen it. I ask you to assure that the ACA is completely funded and fully implemented as soon as possible.
Why is this important?
Some of the benefits of the Affordable Care Act
• 21.3 million more Americans will get healthcare coverage.
• You can’t be denied coverage for preexisting conditions such as asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure or even cancer. And if you or a family member get sick or injured, insurance companies can’t cut off your coverage or cancel your plan.
• Your kids are covered. If you have children, they can stay on your family health insurance plan until they turn 26.
• No more dollar limits on your care. You can get the care you need, without having to worry about huge, unexpected medical bills.
• Your coverage is protected. An unintentional mistake or minor omission on an application can no longer give your insurance company an excuse to cancel your coverage. More preventive care is covered
• Medicare now covers a yearly wellness visit and preventive care at no cost to you. This includes cancer, cholesterol and diabetes screenings, immunizations, diet counseling and more.
• Lower prescription drug costs for Medicare, and the “donut hole” will disappear entirely in 2020
• Every state will have a Health Insurance Marketplace where people looking for coverage can go online to shop for health insurance.
• For the first time, there’s help available to pay for health coverage. In fact, many people who buy their plan on the marketplace can get help covering the costs. Low-cost or free plans are also available depending on your income.
• Small businesses can get tax credits, there are cooperative possibilities to lower costs and many other benefits for the small business owner.
• Obamacare requires insurance companies to provide preventive care as part of your coverage including: High blood pressure screening, Diabetes screening, Flu shots, Colorectal cancer screening, Tobacco cessation counseling, Depression screening,HIV screening for those at risk for the disease
• Services for Women, including: Mammograms, Cervical cancer screening, Osteoporosis screening, Gestational diabetes screening, Well-woman visits
• Services for Children: Immunizations, including flu shots, Autism screening, Behavioral assessments, Development screening, Obesity screening and counseling
• Services for Men: Cholesterol screening, Prostate exams