To: Commission McCabe and Governor Phil Murphy
NJDEP DENY Permits for NESE
NOT IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST - NO PUBLIC NEED -IMPACTS on CLIMATE CHANGE
1. Construction would harm the health and environments of humans, marine life and wildlife.
2. Operation of the compressor station would threaten our health from toxic air emissions.
3. Increased velocity of gas through 50+-year-old pipelines increases rates of corrosion that lead to fires and explosions. 4. Williams/Transco has a poor safety record. None of this gas is for NJ; we take all the risks without any benefits. 5. The NESE Project would undercut the clean energy goals of NJ & NY to fight impacts of Climate Change.
6. Reports show that there is NO NEED for this compressor station or pipeline.
7. There are alternative Clean Renewable Energy solutions.
Why is this important?
Please sign and share: The NJDEP was to decide on the permits for Williams -Transco's proposed Northeast Supply Enhancement (NESE) Project on Oct 25th BUT Williams- Transco withdrew 3 applications and asked for an extension on the other. The NESE Projects includes a new gas-powered gas Compressor Station (—the most polluting type—in Franklin near South Brunswick & Princeton- in an active blasting zone, in a wooded area, where there is very low water pressure and no functioning fire hydrants) and a 23-mile Pipeline Expansion underneath the Raritan Bay and Lower New York Harbor (the construction project will dredge up industrial toxins like arsenic, lead, zinc and mercury and organic compounds PCBs, DDT, and dioxins that have been buried under the seabed for decades.) If Governor Murphy and The NJDEPare serious about stopping the greenhouse gas pollution that’s driving us towards irreversible Climate Catastrophe, the choice is clear. We are well beyond the point where we can let the greed of the fossil fuel industry halt our transition to 100% clean renewable energy.