To: The New York State House, The New York State Senate, and Governor Andrew Cuomo
Stop putting neurotoxic fluoride in our NYC water.
Despite more than 60 years of fluoridation tooth decay is still a major health problem in the US for those of low income. It's time to stop wasting millions of dollars promoting this outdated program. It's not a nutrient, it's a neurotoxin and we shouldn't be drinking it.
Why is this important?
In the last two years, several studies and articles have brought into serious question both the safety and efficacy of adding fluoride to our drinking water supply.
1. The fluorine element used for fluoridation products is now classified as a developmental neurotoxin.
2. The fluorine element is no longer considered a necessary nutrient.
2. Over 60% of school- aged children now have dental fluorosis.
3. Increased levels of fluoridation are correlated to increases in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in the US.
4. A UK correlation between water fluoridation and hypo-thyroidism has been found in the English population.
5. More than 30 studies overseas have shown a link between increased fluoride and lowered IQ even in communities with water fluoride concentrations comparable to those found in the US
6. The Cochrane Review of water fluoridation published the following findings:
a. There is very little contemporary evidence … that has evaluated the effectiveness of water fluoridation for the prevention of caries.
b. There is insufficient evidence to determine whether water fluoridation results in a change in disparities in caries levels across SES (Social Economic Status).
c. We did not identify any evidence ... to determine the effectiveness of water fluoridation for preventing caries in adults.
d. There is insufficient information to determine the effect on caries levels of stopping water fluoridation programmes.
e. There is a significant association between dental fluorosis (of aesthetic concern or all levels of dental fluorosis) and fluoride level. The evidence is limited due to high risk of bias within the studies and substantial between-study variation.
In light of these findings we the undersigned petition the authorities to immediately stop water fluoridation.
Fluoride is not a nutrient, and is the only chemical added to our water to treat a medical condition. It is unethical to add a chemical en masse without individual monitoring and informed consent and is contrary to the Nuremberg Code (1947) and the 2005 UNESCO Universal Declaration on Bioethics and Human Rights. The cautionary principle needs to be followed: when it doubt keep it out.