To: President Donald Trump, The United States House of Representatives, and The United States Senate

Take Back the Airwaves: Campaign Finance Reform

The terms of all radio and television licenses in the United States should be changed to grant the licensee only approximately 90% of the hours available annually. The other 10% of time will be made available to candidates for electoral office at little or no cost. Removing the cost of radio and television time from electoral campaigns will remove most of the current inequities and corruption from the electoral process in the United States.

Why is this important?

The major cost of electoral campaigns is the cost of TV and radio advertising. The airwaves are a public resource, owned by the people of the United States. Radio and TV licensees should only receive a license for about 90% of the 8760 hours in year. The rest should be reserved for electoral campaigns and should have little or no cost associated. This would take the big money out of electoral campaigns thereby making them more equitable, fair and democratic and removing a primary root of corruption from the American electoral system.

Category


Reasons for signing

  • Politics will not change much without campaign finance reform.
  • this is way overdue.
  • Good idea!