To: The United States House of Representatives and The United States Senate
#DefundHate: Defund the Detention and Deportation Machine!
Stopping the flow of money is critical to stopping Trump's anti-immigrant agenda. To do that, we must act now to demand that Congress says NO to Trump's request for more money to fund the detention and deportation of immigrants.
Why is this important?
In his 2018 proposed budget, Trump has requested A LOT more money to fund the detention and deportation of immigrants, including:
• funds to hire new ICE and Border Patrol agents to terrorize our communities,
• more local police to focus on immigration enforcement,
• a massive increase in immigrant detention—the equivalent of locking up the entire population of New Orleans over the course of a year,
• $1.6 billion to build a southern border wall, and
• further border militarization including aircraft and surveillance technology
At the same time, the administration is seeking drastic cuts to vital housing, education, nutrition, and health care programs that help communities grow and thrive together, and is threatening to take away programs like DACA and Temporary Protected Status, which would subject hundreds of thousands more people to deportation.
Congress is taking action on this budget right now. The bill in the House of Representatives gives Trump almost all of what he asked for, even though ICE and CBP have put the detention and deportation machine on steroids, regularly lie, hide information from the American public, and retaliate against anyone who speaks out.
Join us in demanding your Representative and Senators #DefundHate by publicly calling for significant cuts to the detention and deportation machine, and voting NO on any bill which wastes any money on this unaccountable and abusive system.