50 signatures reached
To: US President Donald J. Trump, US Senate, US House of Representatives, ICE, Homeland Security, CDC, US Customs and Border Patrol, and The Office of Refugee Resettlement
Release Immigrants in Detention Centers
1. Release all immigrants from detention centers.
2. Halt any new detention and deportation efforts.
3. Call on governmental and community organizations to assure that the released immigrants have housing and basic support post-release.
Why is this important?
1. This petition seeks to prevent further COVID-19 spread in detention camps. The health of every individual in the United States of America is important and must be protected. Immigrants in detention are kept in close quarters, which does not allow for social distancing.
2. Confirmed COVID-19 cases in detention often are responded to with solitary confinement. This has been proven to have detrimental mental and physical health consequences.
3. Several cases of COVID-19 have already been found in immigrant detention centers.
4. Immigrant detention centers have well-documented issues with providing adequate medical care. Refer to Human Rights Watch and Detention Watch Network reports on the lack of medical care and deaths in detention.
5. Immigrant detention centers are closing off their facilities to visitation because of the pandemic. This further isolates the individuals, families, and children.
6. Community and governmental responses are needed not just to release folks from detention, but to ensure that they have access to safe housing, adequate healthcare, and access to meeting their basic needs. Not everyone has family or friends with whom they can go live with, particularly during this pandemic that requires social distancing.
7. They must be released.
How it will be delivered
Email the signatures to the different entities.