Deborah Watts, Emmett Till's cousin, co-founder of the Emmett Till Legacy Foundation (ETLF) and one of the justice seeking family members released the following statement after a grand jury in Mississippi failed to charge Mrs. Carolyn Bryant Donham for her role in the 1955 kidnapping and lynching of Emmett Louis Till.
To: US Congress, Attorney General Merrick Garland, Mississippi Attorney General Lynn Fitch and District Attorney for the Fourth Circuit Court District of Mississippi, W. Dewayne Richardson
Charge only surviving accomplice in 67 year old Emmett Till open murder case now!
To bring truth, justice and long overdue closure to this historic case, the Emmett Till Legacy Foundation (ETLF), its supporters and family members of Emmett Till are demanding that:
1. Mississippi Attorney General Lynn Fitch and W. Dewayne Richardson District Attorney for the Fourth Circuit Court District of Mississippi, request that the Mississippi Law enforcement, and the Sheriff of Leflore County immediately, serve the warrant on Carolyn Bryant Donham, wherever she may be found.
2. Reactivate the case regarding the death of Emmett Louis Till.
3. Conduct a more transparent and extensive investigation, including impaneling a new Grand Jury to specifically address the culpability and actions of Carolyn Bryant Donham in the kidnapping that led to the lynching and murder of Emmett Louis Till.
4. Carolyn Bryant Donham, the last known living recognized accomplice, be charged with kidnapping and murder immediately. The new evidence proves her culpability.
5. An official apology to the Till Family from the Federal Government, Department of Justice, the State of Mississippi and local law enforcement for the human rights violation, wrongful death, kidnapping and lynching of Emmett Louis Till, and for the miscarriage and obstruction of justice in the 1955 trial.
Why is this important?
Emmett Till was murdered 67 years ago. At only 14 years old, he was kidnapped, brutally tortured, lynched and killed during a racially-motivated hate crime that ultimately helped launch the modern day civil rights movement.
The past is not past. The specter of this devastating crime remains ever-present through modern day racially motivated murders. The burdens borne by families such as Emmett's (Thelma Wright Edwards and Deborah Watts), George Floyd’s (Philonise and LaTonya Floyd) Ahmaud Arbery’s (Wanda Cooper Jones and Marcus Arbery Sr.), Trayvon Martin’s (Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin), Jordan Davis’ (Lucy McBath and Ron Davis), Eric Garner’s (Gwen Carr), Breonna Taylor’s (Tamika Palmer) and many others force them to speak up loudly, demand justice and take action when others won’t.
Family members of Emmett Till urgently need your help. Emmett’s case remains open and active, appearing on the Department of Justice Unsolved Civil Rights Crimes cold case list. The case was reactivated in 2017 when the only known accomplice, Carolyn Bryant Donham - who is still alive and now well into her 80s - appeared to admit to an author of a book about Emmett Till and his case, that she lied to her husband, and during Emmett’s murder trial, by falsely claiming that Emmett made sexual advances and physically touched her. Carolyn Bryant Donham’s false claim and involvement are the actions that began the tragic chain of events leading to Emmett’s murder.
Thank you for your support to help bring truth, justice and closure to the
Emmett Till murder case.
Amplify your impact on behalf the Emmett Till case:
● Tweet the President Biden @POTUS and Vice President Kamala Harris @VP demand #JusticeForEmmettTill
● Tweet DOJ and US Attorney General Merrick Garland @TheJusticeDept and demand #JusticeForEmmettTill
● Tweet and call Mississippi Attorney General Lynn Fitch @lynnfitchag; 601.359.3680 demand #JusticeForEmmettTill
● Email and call District Attorney for the Fourth Circuit Court District of Mississippi, W. Dewayne Richardson [email protected]; 662.378.2105 demand #JusticeForEmmettTill
Check out our website: https://emmetttilllegacyfoundation.com/
and follow us on
Facebook Emmett Till Legacy Foundation
to get updates on our work and journey towards
How it will be delivered
Stage a Press Conference
Deliver them in person
Email the signatures