100 signatures reached
To: City of Wausau
Homeless Bill of Rights for Wausau, Wisconsin
Homeless Bill of Rights
We, the undersigned, herby petition the City of Wausau, Wisconsin to pass a Homeless Bill of Rights. We believe our unhoused friends and neighbors deserve the rights to:
(1) Use and move freely in public spaces including, but not limited to, public sidewalks, public parks, public transportation and public buildings, in the same manner as any other person, and without discrimination on the basis of experiencing homelessness;
(2) Equal treatment by all state and municipal agencies, without discrimination on the basis of experiencing homelessness;
(3) Be free from discrimination while seeking or maintaining employment due to the lack of a permanent mailing address, or a mailing address being that of a shelter or social service provider;
(4) Access emergency medical care free from discrimination based on experiencing homelessness;
(5) Vote, register to vote, and receive documentation necessary to prove identity for voting without discrimination due to experiencing homelessness;
(6) Protection from disclosure of records and information provided to homeless shelters and service providers to state, municipal, and private entities, without appropriate legal authority; and the right to confidentiality of personal records and information in accordance with all applicable limitations on disclosure, established by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, and the Federal Violence Against Women Act.
(7) A reasonable expectation of privacy of personal property.
(8) The right to engage in lawful self-employment in the same manner as any other person, including, but not limited to, the right to seek self-employment in junk removal and recycling that requires the collection, possession, redemption, and storage of goods for reuse and recycling.
(9) The right to pray, meditate, or practice religion in public spaces.
Why is this important?
Please help by signing this petition. We want to ensure that our unhoused citizens maintain their right to employment and resources essential for their survival and path to recovery.
This petition will be presented to the Wausau City Council. By agreeing on the basic human rights of our unhoused, we can begin to work together to help.